[MITgcm-support] Setting appropriate start time after changing model resolution

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Thu Jan 29 10:25:36 EST 2015

Hi Roland,

> On Jan 29, 2015, at  4:59 AM, Roland Young <young at atm.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> My question is: is it possible to preserve the model time and iteration number in the continued run, or must these begin again from zero? I tried to start the run with niter0 set to the iteration number of the input as obtained at the end of the original run, but I get MDS_READ_FIELD errors as I am not using a pickup file to continue the run. I would like to preserve the model time and iteration number as otherwise the combined set of output files will have overlapping iteration numbers in their filenames.

Do you really want to do this?  Your grid parameter files will all get overwritten as well if you are using mds (not sure about netcdf).  So you'll need to keep your files in a separate directory, and if you do that, isn't just as easy to read in and have a time offset in your processing routines?

Cheers,   Jody