[MITgcm-support] KE diagnostics

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri Jan 23 10:15:53 EST 2015

Hi Marco,

When using pkg/mon_fluxform (= the default), KE that the model computes and output
from pkg/diagnostics (diagnostics name: 'momKE   ') comes from S/R MOM_CALC_KE
and uses the KEscheme=2 discretisation:
C            1  /  ------------I    -----------J \
C      KE = --- |  U^2 * hFacW   +  V^2 * hFacW  | / hFacC
C            2  \                                /
Note that, as discussed in a recent post to this list
( http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2014-November/009569.html )
even when using non-Hydrostatic, the W contribution is not part of the 'momKE   '
diagnostics (but included in the "MONITOR" ke output).

The other KE discretisation options (KEscheme) are only available when using pkg/mom_vecinv
 (setting: vectorInvariantMomentum=TRUE ).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel