[MITgcm-support] pkg/dic options ?

Alexandre Pohl alexandre.pohl at lsce.ipsl.fr
Wed Aug 26 05:44:24 EDT 2015

Dear all,

I am using a coupled configuration of the MITgcm with the pkg/dic enabled. My goal is to simulate the loci of high biological productivity in deep-time (450 Ma ago), and to test the influence of the palaeogeographical evolution on the latter.

Though I roughly understand what each flag found in the DIC_OPTIONS.h file means, I am not sure whether I should define them or not. Would you tell me what you suggest concerning :

- DIC_NO_NEG ?
- and DIC_BOUNDS ?

- ALLOW_OLD_VIRTUALFLUX ? The name, containing 'old', suggests that there is now something better but I did not find anything else that accounts for the dilution of dic and alk by fresh water fluxes in the code. Are you using this virtual flux as Friis et al. (2006, Possible overstimation…, Global Biogeo Cycles) did in their paper?

- CAR_DISS ? There is an illustration of the effect of this specific code in Friis et al., 2006, and in Friis et al., 2007 (Dissolution of calcium carbonate…, Biogeosciences), but I don’t know what is the best alternative for a general case study. Would you use this CAR_DISS code?

- LIGHT_CHL ? Given that I have no chrolophyll climatology for my deep-time study, is it better to use this code with the default value or not using it at all ?

Any help would be highly appreciated, shoud this concern any of these questions.
Thanks!
Alexandre

__

Alexandre POHL
PhD Student
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l’Environnement (LSCE)
Centre d'Etude de Saclay
CEA-Orme des Merisiers, bât. 701
F-91191 GIF-SUR-YVETTE CEDEX
FRANCE