[MITgcm-support] 回复: GMRedi parameterization

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Thu Aug 27 05:35:32 EDT 2015

Hi Ryan,

Thanks very much for your clear reply.

Redi and GM is now combined together (as GMRedi package) and leave two diffusivities GM_isopycK and GM_background_K which parameterize respectively the diffusive and advective effects of unresolved geostrophic eddies.

For an eddying run, there are also eddy flux (probably at submesoscale or even smaller) that need to be parameterized.  So both diffusive and advective effects of these small eddies also exist in such situation.  However, the advective effect may not act to flatten isopycnals so that GM's scheme does not apply in eddying case.  In contrast, diffusive effect should be also along isopycnals so that we still need Redi scheme.

In short, in eddying run, we need Redi (GM_isopycK) but not GM (GM_background_K=0).  Is it right?

------------------
 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn