[MITgcm-support] problem of open boundary

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Apr 13 02:01:47 EDT 2015

Hi Tongya,

this makes sense. With a restoring time scale of 1day, you almost impose the relaxation fields exactly in the interior, but not on the open boundary so that there can be very strong gradients across the boundary leading to the tangential current that you observed.

Generally, you’ll have to play with your parameters to tune the model. According to simple barotropic and laminar theory, i.e. Munk and Stommel gyres, the with of the western boundary current is determined by horizonal friction (viscAh/viscA4 and all the variants) and bottom friction. I would start with those. But I wonder (I am no expert on the Kuroshio), if at your resolution a narrow, undulating current should be expected, and the apparent width come about by temporal averaging?

Martin