[MITgcm-support] the meaning of ETAN

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Nov 12 08:41:26 EST 2014

EtaN can have different meanings depending on the coordinate system (pressure or z-level), and the free-surface options, that’s why EtaN has this general but a little unintuitive description: “perturbation of surface”

For the free surface version (which probably all use by now) in z-levels (also the default), EtaN is the dynamic sea surface height. For ridgid lid, it is pressure (skaled to height units), for pressure coordinates, it is the bottom pressure perturbation. ( I hope I got that right )

Martin