[MITgcm-support] the meaning of ETAN

刘成彦 killy at nuist.edu.cn
Wed Nov 12 07:18:30 EST 2014

Dear all

Recently, I have focused on the output of the ETAN in data.diagnostics. In my experiment, I could know the meaning of ETAN clearly. In the
manual, it writes that ETAN means “Perturbation of Surface”, and in the code of the diagnostics_main_init.F, it is expressed as ‘Sea Surface
Elevation’;

Could I interpreted the ETAN as follows:

At first, the ocean is resting, and the ETAN is zero at every points. Then, when the energy is transfuse into the ocean by surface boundary
conditions, the first layer of the ocean starts rippling, and the ETAN is the value of the deviation of the surface to the resting ocean.

Cheers

Liu

Dr. Chengyan Liu
Nanjing University of Information