[MITgcm-support] Input files for global1x1_tot

gael forget gforget at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 12 16:52:45 EDT 2014

Tanya,

Patrick is absolutely right with regard to the obsolete global1x1_tot.

A couple precisions about the up to date stuff though. Patrick was referring
to the optimized solution, namely the ECCO v4 state estimate fields. These
are indeed available via http://www.ecco-group.org and can be used for
analysis of the 1992-2011 ocean state, for model initialization, etc.

From the address listed by Patrick, by following the link under “in the news", you get to
http://mit.ecco-group.org/opendap/ecco_for_las/version_4/release1/contents.html
This directory contains a README and a matlab script called
getting_started.m that you may also want to have a look at.

The model setup itself has been released last year @
http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/gael/verification/
There is a README and a setup script in that directory.

It has been used by several groups at this point either
for simple forward runs (what you likely have in mind) or
in the context of state estimation (requires the adjoint model).

As you will find out the LLC grid is more elaborate than that used in
global1x1_tot that was now truly global (it did not include the Arctic).
Like for MITgcm itself, there is a bit of a learning curve (starting with the
READMEs should help) but most people seem to get used to it rather easily.

Gael