[MITgcm-support] rbcs advice

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Mon Mar 3 19:30:01 EST 2014

Hi all,

I have been using RBCS package to force a coarse domain with internal waves, and that works very well.  Now I want to nest the larger domain into a small domain.  I'm fine w/ a 1-way nest (I don't expect the small scale will substantially impact the large-scale).

My issues are how to deal with rbcs.  Each field in the domain as doubles will be 6 Gb/time step. I'd like to have at least 24 forcings over two tidal cycles (48 would be better), so we are talking about 150-300 Gb files for the relaxTFile etc.

Is that OK, or should I be saving the files separately, using rbcsSingleTimeFiles = .TRUE.

If I do rbcsSingleTimeFiles = .TRUE., then I am unsure how to specify the iteration number.  I found the discussion in the manual vague.  By "iteration" do we mean the iteration number for the saves? Or model iteration number? Or???

i.e. suppose I have

deltaT=12.
deltaTrbcs=3600.

and I have snapshots I want to use to force at t=0,3600,7200, etc

I'd think I need to set

rbcsForcingOffset=-1800.
and the files would be:
Uforce.0000000000
Uforce.0000000001
Uforce.0000000002

or would they be
Uforce.0000000000
Uforce.0000003600
Uforce.0000007200

Finally, what do I set rbcsIter0 to?

Thanks for any help.  Feel free to ignore if there is no penalty to just making a single big forcing file.

Cheers,   Jody

--
Jody Klymak
http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/