[MITgcm-support] introduction to the MITgcm biogeochemistry module

Manfredi Manizza mmanizza at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 19 14:01:42 EST 2014

Hi Johnny,

given that you work on the Arctic Ocean, you can look at this paper :

*M. Manizza*, M. J. Follows, S. Dutkiewicz, D. Menemenlis, J. W.
McClelland, C. N. Hill, B. J. Peterson, R. Key - (2011) A Model of the
Arctic Ocean Carbon Cycle
<http://bluemoon.ucsd.edu/mmanizza/Manizza_ArcticCC_JGRO_11.pdf> -
Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, VOL. 116, C12020, 19 PP., 2011
doi:10.1029/2011JC006998.

There is a relationship in the appndix where you can derive DIC and
Alkalinity fields from T and S
used in the model for intial conditions.

For generating initial conditions of PO4 look at Word Ocean Atlas.

Look at GLODAP for deriving the boundary conditions for DIC and ALK.

Boundary conditions files have to be prescribed possibly each month to
the model,
so you need files that match that , so if you run 10 years for instance
your have to generate the files that have the same climatological field
12*10 times.

I hope this helps.

Manfredi

email : mmanizza at ucsd.edu