[MITgcm-support] Momentum Budget

Christopher Piecuch cpiecuch at aer.com
Mon Feb 10 13:31:04 EST 2014

All,

There have been some emails going around over the past couple of months
(and years) regarding closure of momentum budgets using MITgcm. I have
another question on this topic, if anyone still has energy for this issue.

I am trying to close offline the momentum budgets on an LLC grid using
the general setup for the upcoming ECCO-Production (Version 4) release.
I am diagnosing the budget using 64-bit output following methods spelled
out in Jean-Michel's most recent post on this issue
(http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2013-December/008719.html) as

TOTUTEND/86400 = -gravity*d(SSH)/dx + Um_dPHdx + Um_Advec + Um_Diss +
Um_Ext + AB_gU + Implicit Vertical Diffusion,

where SSH = ETAN + sIceLoad/rhoConstFresh and I'm computing the
horizontal gradients in the SSH using Gael Forget's gcmfaces package.

I'm finding that the correspondence between right-hand and left-hand
sides of the above equation seems to degrade with depth and proximity to
sea-ice.

Since the setup I am considering uses the vector-invariant momentum
equations (vectorInvariantMomentum=.TRUE.), and not the flux-form
version that seems to be the topic of all previous threads, I am
wondering: are there additional terms that need to be output to diagnose
the momentum budgets for the vector-invariant case?

If not, it is probably the case I have some bugs in my post-processing code.

Any input would be appreciated. Please let me know any setup files,
etc., that might be needed to help diagnose the issue.

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

--
Christopher G. Piecuch, Staff Scientist
Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER), a Verisk Analytics company