No subject

Wed Dec 17 12:57:03 EST 2014

an, and SIatmFW is the total FW leaving the atmosphere.  However, I want th=
e net FW flux into the ocean from ice melt, and the net P-E into the ocean =
through leads in the ice.  I can't work out how to derive that from these t=
wo diagnostics.

The way I see it, there are three relevant fluxes:

AI: atmophere->ice FW flux
AO: atmosphere->ocean FW flux
IO: ice->ocean FW flux

SIempmr=3DIO+AO, while SIatmFW=3DAI+AO.  I want IO and AO, so I am trying t=
o solve a system of 2 equations with 3 unknowns!  Can someone tell me where=
 I am going wrong, or provide me with one or more diagnostics that will unl=
ock the system?  If I had the change in total ice mass DV/Dt=3DAI-IO that w=
ould do it, but I don't fancy trying to calculate the material derivative.

Hopefully I'm just confused.

cheers,

Paul

Dr. Paul Holland
British Antarctic Survey
p.holland at bas.ac.uk
+44 (0) 1223 221444
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/profile/paul

________________________________
 This message (and any attachments) is for the recipient only. NERC is subj=
ect to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the contents of this email a=
nd any reply you make may be disclosed by NERC unless it is exempt from rel=
ease under the Act. Any material supplied to NERC may be stored in an elect=
ronic records management system.