[MITgcm-support] A query about EXF

Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 10 00:37:12 EDT 2013

Hi Abhisek, you are correct.
The table shows you the various combinations of surface forcings
that you can use and the flags that you need to set.
In your case you need to pay attention to
C hflux :: Net upward surface heat flux including shortwave in W/m^2
C          hflux = latent + sensible + lwflux + swflux
C          > 0 for decrease in theta (ocean cooling)

The model does not make a distinction between HS and HL.
You will have to add them together, and to shortwave and
longwave also, if you want to use.

Dimitris Menemenlis