[MITgcm-support] A query about EXF

Abhisek Chakraborty abhisek.sac at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 21:55:22 EDT 2013

Dear Dimitris Menemenlis,

I am using 63m version of the model and and the EXF_OPTIONS.h (e.g.
"global_with_exf") shows a table like the following one:

c    WIND |TEMP |DOWN |BULK |EVAP |            actions
c    -----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-------------------------------------
c         |     |     |     |     |
c      -  |  -  |  -  |  -  |  -  | Read-in ustress, vstress, hflux,
c         |     |     |     |     | swflux, and sflux.
c         |     |     |     |     |
c     def | def | def | def |  -  | Read-in uwind, vwind, atemp, aqh,
c         |     |     |     |     | swdown, lwdown, precip, and runoff.
c         |     |     |     |     | Compute ustress, vstress, hflux,
c         |     |     |     |     | swflux, and sflux.
c         |     |     |     |     |
c     def | def |  -  | def |  -  | Read-in uwind, vwind, atemp, aqh,
c         |     |     |     |     | swflux, lwflux, precip, and runoff.
c         |     |     |     |     | Compute ustress, vstress, hflux,
c         |     |     |     |     | and sflux.
c         |     |     |     |     |
c     def |  -  |  -  | def |  -  | Read-in uwind, vwind, hflux,
c         |     |     |     |     | swflux, and sflux.
c         |     |     |     |     | Compute ustress and vstress.
c         |     |     |     |     |
c      -  | def |  -  | def |  -  | Read-in ustress, vstress, atemp,
c         |     |     |     |     | aqh, swflux, lwflux, precip, and
c         |     |     |     |     | runoff.  Compute hflux and sflux.
c         |     |     |     |     |
c     def | def |  -  |  -  | def | Read-in uwind, vwind, atemp, aqh,
c         |     |     |     |     | swflux, lwflux, precip, runoff,
c         |     |     |     |     | and evap.
c         |     |     |     |     |
c     def | def |  -  | def |  -  | Read-in uwind, vwind, atemp, aqh,
c         |     |     |     |     | swflux, lwflux, precip, and runoff.
c         |     |     |     |     | Compute open-water ustress, vstress,
c         |     |     |     |     | hflux, swflux, and evap.
c         |     |     |     |     |
c     def | def | def |  -  | def | Read-in uwind, vwind, atemp, aqh,
c         |     |     |     |     | swdown, lwdown, precip, runoff,
c         |     |     |     |     | and evap.
c         |     |     |     |     |
c     def | def | def | def |  -  | Read-in uwind, vwind, atemp, aqh,
c         |     |     |     |     | swdown, lwdown, precip, and runoff.
c         |     |     |     |     | Compute open-water ustress, vstress,
c         |     |     |     |     | hflux, swflux, and evap.

Here I didn't find how to use hs and hl as inputs to EXF.

 (As far as I understand, EXF is using the above parameters to compute
mainly wind stresses and sensible as well as latent heat fluxes. SO THERE
MUST BE SOME MEANS TO USE UWIND, VWIND, HS AND HL DIRECTLY IN THE EXF
PACKAGE).

Any suggestion .....

regards,
Abhisek