[MITgcm-support] problems with the size.h file

Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 6 08:41:32 EST 2013

Hi, please look at figure 5 in http://mitgcm.org/pdfs/96JC02776.pdf
and accompanying discussion.

Then try rereading 2.11.4
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node47.html

and looking at the SIZE.h example under, e.g., 3.12.3.7
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node132.html

npx and npy allow you to run the model on a parallel computer using Message Passing Interface (MPI)
specifically you will spawn npx*npy processes, one process per CPU or core

nsx and nsy also decompose the domain in tiles, except that these nsx*nsy run under same process.
there are several reasons for this second decomposition.  One is that it allows you to debug some aspects
of the tiling on a single processor, another has to do with allowing you to run the code in shared memory
configuration, and a third is that sometimes you want small tiles so you can discard the ones that are
100% dry.

for simplicity, you can set npx=npy=nsx=nsy=1 for time being and run small tests in a single-process
configuration. when your problem grows in size, then you will want to explore using MPI.

Dimitris Menemenlis