[MITgcm-support] Actual depth of mds output vertical levels

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon May 27 04:05:06 EDT 2013

Daniel,

ever since someone replied to a question of mine with the following "acronym" I wanted to use it myself in an email list: RTFM (-:
Or more politely: I suggest that you have a look at the manual, in particular
<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node43.html>
Not only will that answer your question, but you'll also get a better idea of how your model system works. Further information about the grid can be found the in the header of GRID.h

Martin

PS. RC is the depth of the cell center points, where temperature is defined (so -500, -1500, etc in your case). In Finite Volumes the variables have so-called control volumes. In the case of tepmeratures these are delineated the vertical RF-points (the cell boundaries or layer inteface depths), and you can assume that temperature is (piece wise) constant on this volume.