[MITgcm-support] MITgcm online tutorial problems

Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 7 14:30:46 EDT 2013

Hong, thanks for quick response!

Could you also add the information below to MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/cube92/README.cs510<http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/cube92/README.cs510>
so it's ready to go for next user.

I cc your message to support list for future reference.

Cheers

Dimitris Menemenlis
818-625-6498

On Jun 7, 2013, at 2:13 PM, "Hong Zhang" <hong.zhang at ucla.edu<mailto:hong.zhang at ucla.edu>> wrote:

On 06/07/2013 10:18 AM, Jonny Williams wrote:
Thank you very much for the welcome, Hong!

I've checked out the experiment and started going through the README file and I'm experiencing some errors which I imagine are due to the fact that I haven't downloaded the initial condition, bathymetry and forcing files as yet. I notice that the links to these contain many files so I'd be grateful if you could let me know if there is a simple way to download them and also where to put them?

I should emphasise that although I am an experienced modeller and and comfortable with UNIX/LINUX, I am a complete newbie to MITgcm. I am really looking forward to seeing what it can do!
Hi Jonny,
Some files are not necessary.
Here I list the essentail ones. As you're working on linux box,
that will make it easy, especially by use of wildcard in file names and wget.

http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/cube92/
and see  readme file for instruction:
http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/cube92/README.cs510?view=markup
Initial condition and bathymetry files can be found here:
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/cube/run_template/
for run_template/, need
*cube78
tile*
GEBCO*

Forcing files are here:
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data2/data/atmos/blend_forcing/cube78_forcing/
There are 2 sets of forcing fields. Basically we use JRA25 now.
So for cube78_foring/, need
DIFFKR*
runoff*

http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data2/data/atmos/jra25/
for jra25/, download
jra25*_19*
jra25*_20*

That should save a lot of traffic time and disk space.
So now you have three folders, run_template/, cube78_forcing/, and jra25/
can put them aywhere.
Then look at http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/cube92/README.cs510?view=markup
need to change line 19-21, line 26-27 (link those three folders or files therein to you own work directory)
BTW, probably you need to change line 12, using some build option file for your own supercomputer to compile.
Good luck,
hong