[MITgcm-support] MPI problems

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Jun 7 11:59:37 EDT 2013

Hi Neil

Different MPI implementations (MPICH, OpenMPI, Intel MPI, etc)
have different parameters for the
mpirun (or mpiexec) command.
That is not standardized.
Some may call it "-machinefile", others "-hostfile".

"man mpirun"/"man mpiexec" may tell you more about
the right parameters and syntax for the MPI you're using.

Also, make sure the mpirun/mpiexec you're using is part of
the same MPI implementation that you used to compile the MITgcm.

"which mpirun" and "which mpif77"/"which mpif90"/"which mpicc"
will help you check if they match or not.

If they do not match, you need to tweak with your PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables to have them match.
Using full path ( say /my/mpi/location/mpiexec ) is an alternative.

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa