[MITgcm-support] OBCS for sea ice!

liqun_hu818 at yahoo.com.cn liqun_hu818 at yahoo.com.cn
Sat Jun 8 02:06:46 EDT 2013

Hi, all:
    I am now trying setup a regional ice-ocean coupled application with MITgcm checkpoint64h, OBCs are prescribed from global model products.

    However, there is some problem with the Vvel at the southern boundary and the Uvel at the western boundary. These two boundary value are masked by the northern and eastern sea ice velocity mask. I checked the obcs_apply_uvice.F, and commented the seaiceMaskU/V, the problem still exist. And so I changed the value of seaiceMaskU/V to 1 in theseaice_init_varia.F, this kind problem could be solved.

    After checking the code, I found that seaiceMaskU(i,Jsouth)=AREA(i,Jsouth)+AREA(i,Jsouth-1), and if Jsouth=1, it seems that the AREA(i,0) is set to be AREA(I,end), simila with the western boundary with Iwest=1.
    Though the seaiceMaskU/V are mainly used in the dynamic solver, could there be other problems?

Best wishes,
liqun