[MITgcm-support] DeepAtmosphere and rstar coordinates

Angela Zalucha azalucha at seti.org
Tue Jan 15 17:11:51 EST 2013

Jean-Michel:

I am not tied to the deep-atmosphere mode, I really just care about
getting gravity to be a function of k in the model.  Is it really as
simple as replacing the model variable "gravity" with a k dependence
wherever it appears in the model?  This does not interfere with any
assumptions made in the governing equations (one example I could think of
of is gravity being taken out of an integral over z under the assumption
that gravity is a constant)?  I also wonder if modifications would need to
be made to the geopotential Phi.

   Angela

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Angela Zalucha, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute

Office located at Southwest Research Institute
1050 Walnut Street, Suite 300
Boulder, CO 80302
USA
(720) 208-7211