[MITgcm-support] DeepAtmosphere and rstar coordinates

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Mon Jan 14 21:40:36 EST 2013

Hi Angela,

Few things here:
1) deep-atmosphere would work the same way in p* coordinate as it does in
pure pressure coordinate. The reason is that the way the code takes
into account deep-atmosphere effect is horizontally uniform, with radius
and grid size that only varies with k (i.e., pressure or p* level).
This is only an approximation (the true radius should varies from place to
place, function of the local geopotential height), and the assumption that
p* is close to p in the deep-atmosphere effect is very likely to have less
impact than the assumption above, which is a horizontally uniform
radius for a given pressure level k.

2) Note that the deep-atmosphere code in general, and specially in pressure
coordinate, has not been extensively tested, plus I don't remember if
it has been consistently taken into account everywhere in the dynamics.
So I would recommend to be rather careful in switching this on.

3) gravity variation with height: although it seems natural to associate this
to the deep-atmosphere formulation, it is not currently part of it.
But if we agree on the main assumption above (in point 1), meaning that
a pressure or p* level is at a fixed distance from the planet center
(fixed radius), it's not difficult to consider gravity as a function of k
(and this does not require significant code modifications, especially in
pressure coords).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel