[MITgcm-support] format of input files wrong in regional model with open boundary conditions?

Jonny Williams Jonny.Williams at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Dec 19 11:25:47 EST 2013

Ah, that would make a lot of sense, thank you!

Currently I have not specified northern and southern BCs in the model! I
assumed that this was taken care of by the external forcing files... Is it
possible to let me know how roughly how I would go about this please?

In the long run I will be using OBCS but for now I want to try and do
something as simple as possible.

Many thanks once again

Jonny

On 19 December 2013 16:20, Jody Klymak <jklymak at uvic.ca> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2013, at  7:31 AM, Jonny Williams <Jonny.Williams at bristol.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> At the moment I am running my model with the EXF (external forcing)
> package only but eventually I want to run it with the OBCS (open boundary
> conditions) package too as is the case for the Arctic regional simulation
> that my model is based upon.
>

> So what is your northern and southern BC?  I think the default is periodic
> unless you put some topography at those latitudes to stop the flow, or if
> you use OBCS.  If periodic, you probably have a huge pressure gradient
> there that is causing the advection equation to have troubles.
>
> Just a guess,
>
> Cheers,   Jody

Dr Jonny Williams
School of Geographical Sciences