[MITgcm-support] External forcing - runoff

Jonathan Whitefield jwhitefield at alaska.edu
Fri Aug 9 20:39:42 EDT 2013

I'm working on a model run with a higher resolution forcing for river
runoff, and I'm trying to understand some of the lines in data.exf:

 runoff_lon0       = 0.50D0,
 runoff_lon_inc    = 1.0D0,
 runoff_lat0       = -89.5D0,
 runoff_lat_inc    = 179*1.,

I get the first two lines - the first longitude box is at 0.5 degrees,
and each subsequent box is 1 degree more. It's the same as Matlab
saying lon=0.5:1:359.5. The third line I'm also fine with - the
latitude starts at -89.5. However, I don't get the last line. The
increase between cells is a different format to lon_inc. Is this
because lat is vertical, and it should be a column of 179 "1"s? Why is
it not just 1.0D0 as for lon_inc?

If I wanted to do a quarter degree resolution, should I have
runoff_lat_inc = 1439*0.25?

Thanks again.

--
Jonathan Whitefield, M.Sc.