[MITgcm-support] KPP and nonhydrostatic

Victor victory9269 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 11:25:25 EDT 2013

Hi all

I am simulating the menso-scale processes in shelf sea forced by the srong
wind. The vertical mixing is quite important for my concern. Thus a
constant value of vertical visicosity is not good for my issue. I try to
use KPP, but a warning shows up. The warning disappears when the
nonhydrostatic is closed. The warning is:

** WARNING ** CONFIG_CHECK: Implicit viscosity applies to provisional u,vVel
** WARNING ** => not consistent with final vertical shear (after appling
3-D solver solution
** WARNING ** CONFIG_CHECK: Implicit viscosity not implemented in CALC_GW
** WARNING ** CONFIG_CHECK: Explicit viscosity might become unstable if too
large

Does that mean it is impossible to use nonhydrostatic with KPP?
Or does anyone know any other schemes besides KPP to deal with the vertical
mixing in MITgcm?

Thanks a lot for any answer.

Shengli Chen
XMU and NOC