[MITgcm-support] seaice setup for idealized ice leads experiment

Mehmet Ilicak milicak at rsmas.miami.edu
Mon Sep 17 17:38:44 EDT 2012

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your suggestions.

First of all, hacking the code didn't work. When I set the
stefan-boltzmann constant to 0,
the ice melts and I have negative salinity bias at the top of the model
domain.

So I decided to prescribe downward long-wave radiation.
I remove the lead and put the ice everywhere, so that I can check the
results easily.
I assume Tice=-2C and compute stefanBoltzmann*Tice^4 and run the simulation.
It worked so far.

Now I have two questions since I don't have any experience in ice
modelling.
First, is it proper to assume Tice=-2?
Second, if I run the simulation with lead, should I prescribe the LW
radiation over the lead also?
Because if I do it, that will reduce the forcing and less water will sink.

Best,
Mehmet