[MITgcm-support] seaice setup for idealized ice leads experiment

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Sep 24 09:04:17 EDT 2012

Mehmet,

sorrry for the late reply
> Now I have two questions since I don't have any experience in ice modelling.
> First, is it proper to assume Tice=-2?
Perfectly OK, implies a very high salinity of about 36.359. You can let the model compute the insitu freezing point from local salinity
> Second, if I run the simulation with lead, should I prescribe the LW radiation over the lead also?
> Because if I do it, that will reduce the forcing and less water will sink.
I think it's easiest to prescribe lwdown homogeneously. From a physical point of view it makes sense, because it is basically the radiation temerature of the low clouds (stefanBoltzmann*Tcloud^4), and there is no reason, why that should be very heterogeneous. You can compensate by making the air colder.
BTW you can prescribe constant exf-fields in the data.exf with, e.g., lwdownconst = yourValue, and avoid having to generate 2D fields. See exf_readparms.F for more details (and namelist variable names and defaults)

M.