[MITgcm-support] exf interp for smooth wind stress curl

Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 18 11:36:11 EDT 2011

Chris, thank you for getting back.

Embarrassingly, our atmospheric grid edge effects appear to have been artifacts of sloppy curl computation.  After repeating the computation in a way consistent with model grid, the edge effects went away.

Matt, I wonder whether the wind stress curl artifacts in your CASE (1/16^o) setup could originate from some other cause than the exf_interp bicubic interpolation?

For support list reference I attach the curl recipe that we used:

Wind stress curl at  [ XG(i,j), YG(i,j) ] = dV/dx - dU/dy
U(i,j) = EXFtaux(i,j)
V(i,j) = EXFtauy(i,j)
dV/dx = [ V(i,j) - V(i-1,j) ] / dxV(i,j)
dU/dy = [ U(i,j) - U(i,j-1) ] / dyU(i,j)