[MITgcm-support] How to simulate the geostrophic current?

miaocb miaocb at ouc.edu.cn
Tue Mar 15 22:18:13 EDT 2011

  Hi Martin,
     Thanks for your quick reply.  My aim is to simulate internal tides with horizontally varying stratification. In order to sustain such a stratification, a general
circulation should be produced. And then barotropic tides are imposed at the open boundaries for producing internal tides. There are two ways to produce the
general circulation which have been considered by me.  The first way is to diagnose a geostrophic or quasi-geostrophic current which is consistent with the horizonally
varying stratification. The second way is to simulate the general circulation with wind forcing, heat fluxes and volume fluxes through open boundaries. The first way seems
simple, but I don't know whether it is applicable.  I do not need a purely gestrophic balance, I just want to get the current that is able to sustain the stratification.

   Thanks again.

Paul Miao