[MITgcm-support] Fwd: Correction to MITgcm Carbon System

Galen McKinley gamckinley at wisc.edu
Tue Mar 15 14:36:16 EDT 2011

Dear all --

Val Bennington and I have identified a minor bug in the NPZD_CAR carbon system. The nugget of the bug is that the effect of the water vapor pressure on pCO2atm is being ignored in the flux calculation, and instead is being erroneously applied to pCO2ocean. The result is that pCO2ocean will be slightly high and pCO2atm too low, with the effect enhanced at higher temperature.

The attached document tells you what we've found and there are plots for a test run with the Ullman et al. (2009) model that shows the pCO2socean overestimation and correction. I am also attaching the updated, annotated code with the corrections.

Steph is going to make sure these are checked into pkg/dic and darwin, as the bug has been propagated there.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Galen

Galen A. McKinley, Assistant Professor
Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences &
            Center for Climatic Research                          608 262 4817
University of Wisconsin - Madison      www.aos.wisc.edu/~galen/