[MITgcm-support] Temperature drift in tutorial ( tutorial_global_oce_latlon: Global Ocean Simulation at 4◦ Resolution).

Krishnakumar Rajagopalan krishna_raj_2010 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 15:01:02 EDT 2011

Hi All,

We ran the tutorial (tutorial_global_oce_latlon) for a thousand years and find
that there is a drift in the temperature.  See the attached figure which shows,
for example,  the temperature at longitude=158deg and latitude= 2deg, for some
depths;  the temperature at 3010m fails to reach a steady state even after
1000yrs. Although the annual integral of Qnet equals zero, the annual integral
of heat flux flowing into the computational domain due the relaxation term is
not. Could this be a reason for the drift in temperature? Is there any
setting/method to reduce this (drift in temperature).  Our study also shows that
the temperature drift persists even on a higher resolution grid.

Thanks in advance

Krishnakumar

(University of Hawaii at Manoa)