[MITgcm-support] Temperature drift in tutorial ( tutorial_global_oce_latlon: Global Ocean Simulation at 4◦ Resolution).

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Mar 15 03:31:22 EDT 2011

Hi Krishnakumar,

This behavior is expected: The tutorial_global_oce_latlon is forced by a hea flux that is globally balanced (should lead to no net temperature drift), AND a restoring term. This restoring term ( -(lev_sst.bin - theta)/tauThetaClimRelax ) causes the drift until the model has reached an equilibrium with this forcing (the same is true for salinity: fresh water flux plus restoring to sss). This can take very long, see e.g.
Gokhan Danabasoglu , Ocean Modelling 7 (2004) 323–341, A comparison of global ocean general circulation model solutions obtained with synchronous and accelerated integration methods
where the spin up takes up to 10,000 years. That's just the way it is.

If you want to get rid of the mean temperature trend then you have get rid of the restoring terms, but that will most likely give you a strange circulation.

Martin