[MITgcm-support] Building error on Macbook Pro

Ben Warfield warfield at jhu.edu
Thu Jul 28 16:17:34 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to run the basic example given in the documentation
(../verification/exp2) however I continue to receive the following error
messages when compiling (after 'make' command):

ld: warning: in gsl_ieee_env.o, file was built for unsupported file format
which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
ld: warning: in ptwrapper.o, file was built for unsupported file format
which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
ld: warning: in setrlstk.o, file was built for unsupported file format which
is not the architecture being linked (i386)
ld: warning: in sigreg.o, file was built for unsupported file format which
is not the architecture being linked (i386)
ld: warning: in tim.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is
not the architecture being linked (i386)
ld: warning: in timer_stats.o, file was built for unsupported file format
which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
ld: warning: duplicate dylib /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib
Undefined symbols:
  "_cusertime_", referenced from:
      _timer_get_time__ in timers.o
  "_timenow_", referenced from:
      _timer_get_time__ in timers.o
  "_csystemtime_", referenced from:
      _timer_get_time__ in timers.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mitgcmuv] Error 1

The default genmake2 optfile that is used is darwin_ia32_gfortran, which I
believe is correct.  I did try forcing other suitable genmake2 optfiles
while building the makefile but I continue to get this same error during
compilation.  I've also tried booting the computer in both 32 and 64 bit
modes but no difference there either.  This same error occurs when I tried
another tutorial simulation as well (baroclinic gyre tutorial).

I am on a Macbook Pro with a 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 running Mac OS X Snow
Leopard.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you,

Ben Warfield
Johns Hopkins University
Dept of Earth and Planetary Sciences