[MITgcm-support] Abnormal high and low temperature in model

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Thu Jul 15 16:01:07 EDT 2010

Hi Yinghui,

It's most likely due to over-shoot / under-shoot of the
default (Centered 2nd order) advection scheme.
you can try instead a (quasi) monotonous advection scheme
(tempAdvScheme=77, or tempAdvScheme=33 ) and see if it fixes
or at least improves things.
(When you run this test, probably better to use the same advection
scheme for temp & salt, and to turn on staggerTimeStep=.TRUE.,)

And if you want to keep the same advection scheme (Centered 2nd order),
would need to increase the explicit horizontal (and may be also vertical ?)
diffusion.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel