[MITgcm-support] Abnormal high and low temperature in model

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jul 16 08:05:50 EDT 2010

Hi Yinghui He,

are the extreme temperatures associated with "holes" in the topography, i.e. grid points the have only one connection to the rest of the domain (i.e. upwards)? Or maybe the hFacC's are particularly small? You have a hFacMin of 0.05 (5%) or 10m, so you might get very thin layers. For the latter case try increasing hFacMin to 0.1 or even 0.3. For the former case: z-level models can handle "steep" and otherwise pathological topography, but it's always better to have a fairly smooth bottom.

In the end these extreme values are probably the consequence of overshoots in the advection scheme. You can reduce these by use more sophisticated schemes. I usually use the 3rd order DST with flux limiter
tempAdvection = 33,
saltAdvection = 33,
staggerTimeStep = .true. ! important for the so-called multidimensional schemes to which 33 belongs
With this scheme you can reduce the explicit horizontal diffusion (in theory to 0, because this scheme is "unconditionally" stable). I would use only gmredi for (explicit) horizontal mixing.

Hope that this helps,

Martin