[MITgcm-support] Abnormal high and low temperature in model

何映晖 heyinghui1984 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 13:11:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

I’m running a global ocean model with variable grid-space. Yearly mean *
Trenberth* wind stress is used to drive the ocean circulation. And surface
temperature and salinity restoring boundary conditions are set.

Though the model does not blow up after several years’ runs, some points
with abnormal high or low temperature are found from the model, whereas
there are no points of abnormal velocity near those abnormal temperature
points. And I find those abnormal temperature points mainly emerge at the
bottom layer. So I wonder why this problem occurred. Does the problem stem
from bottom friction? Or because of the wrong value of mixing parameter set?
How can I deal with these problems?

The "data" file is in attachment. And some figures of these abnormal points
at Japan Sea are also attached. Figure 1

Fig. 1 illuminates temperatures at 22th layers, middle depth of 2840 meters.
max temperature is up to 49.08℃, and minimum of -13.37℃. Fig. 2 shows the
abnormal maximum salinity of 57.67 ppt corresponding to the abnormal point
of max temperature. Fig. 3 shows the velocity at the same layer.

Any suggestion to me will be deeply appreciated.

Best regards,

Yinghui He

--
Yinghui He