[MITgcm-support] Bulk Force and SSS restoring

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Feb 18 01:57:07 EST 2010

Hi Amato,
On Feb 17, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Amato Evan wrote:

>> In exf, you can specify wind (or stress), lwdown, swdown, humidity, surface air temperature, precipitation (and with an additional flag, also evaporation), or net lwflux and net swflux (depends on the CPP-flags, see EXF_OPTIONS.h for more details).
> This is what I am doing (u & v stress, lw down, sw down, air q & temp). I'd like to leave off precip and just restore to SSS since this is how I spun up the model to begin with (using "external fields load").
when you define EXF_READ_EVAP in EXF_OPTIONS.h, you can read both precipitation and evaporation with exf. If you then do not specify input files both fields (precip and evap) will be zero, so no FW flux. with
#define ALLOW_CLIMSSS_RELAXATION
you can read SSS for restoring (the restoring time scale set in data, and not data.exf unfortunately. However, if I interpret the most recent check-ins by Gael correctly, then this has just been changed last night and you can now, after a cvs-update set climsssTauRelax in data.exf, instead of tauSaltClimRelax in data. Thank you, Gael, that was long overdue.
What I don't know: Do I still need to set
 externForcingPeriod=2592000.,
 externForcingCycle=31104000.,
or to some non-zero value in data to get periodic forcing, even with exf, or has this been fixed, too?)