[MITgcm-support] Bulk Force and SSS restoring

Amato Evan ate9c at virginia.edu
Wed Feb 17 14:57:04 EST 2010

Hi Martin,

Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it!

> Amato,
> to be honest, I have not fully understand the problem, but that aside:
I seem to be really good at confusing people!

> I meant "global_with_exf/input.yearly" (I was not aware that there
> are two sub-input directories in this experiments), so
> theCalendar="model", is an option and implies 12 30-day-months
Hmmm...  I don't remember why I didn't try with this setup before. OK,
this is great to know, thanks!

> Now for your problem: As far as I can tell you use the
> "external_fields_load"-method to load the forcing, right? (with
> these filenames:
>     & zonalWindFile, meridWindFile,
>     & thetaClimFile, saltClimFile,
>     & surfQnetFile, surfQswFile, EmPmRfile
> in data, PARM05) for your spin-up. Your qnet = qsw(net) + lw(net) +
> qsh + qlh. lw(net) = lwup - lwdown, where
> qlwup=emissivity*boltzmann*SST^4 or so. Now, if you want to change
> your long wave downward radiation, why not compute qnet-lwdown +
> new_lwdown. The lwdown is part of the NCEP fields (at least the
> variant that I once downloaded from the LDEO ingrid server (http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/
> , specifically: <http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NCEP/.EMC/.CMB/.T40/
> >) and that is the basis of most of my climatological simulations
> without sea-ice.
I actually am doing this in a current model run which uses neither EXF
nor BULK_FORCE.

Here I am differencing two runs, one where I force with reanalysis
Qnet, and one where I force with reanalysis Qnet + lw & sw aerosol
forcing. The problem with calculating Qnet offline in this way is that
lwup is esentially fixed at climatology and is not responsive to (in
this case mostly) the SST cooling forced by the reduction of downward
sw radiation by aerosols. This ends up being too liberal an estimate
of the temperature response to aerosol forcing.

> In exf, you can specify wind (or stress), lwdown, swdown, humidity,
> surface air temperature, precipitation (and with an additional flag,
> also evaporation), or net lwflux and net swflux (depends on the CPP-
> flags, see EXF_OPTIONS.h for more details).
This is what I am doing (u & v stress, lw down, sw down, air q &
temp). I'd like to leave off precip and just restore to SSS since this
is how I spun up the model to begin with (using "external fields load").