[MITgcm-support] semi-prognostic calculation with MITgcm

Samar Khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Sat Apr 10 11:32:37 EDT 2010

Hi Chris,

Great idea! This could work.

You mentioned using pkg/rbcs to impose, say, monthly mean (or other time-varying) hydrographic T/S.
However, if I set set temp/saltStepping to false, rbcs won't be called, right? e.g., I have the following sequence
of calls:  S/R THERMODYNAMICS -> CALC_GT -> EXTERNAL_FORCING_T -> RBCS_ADD_TENDENCY
But CALC_GT is only called if tempStepping is true.

I suppose I could hack the code and replace model T/S with my own T/S. S/R WRITE_STATE seems like a safe
place to do this.

Thanks!

Samar