[MITgcm-support] semi-prognostic calculation with MITgcm

Chris Hill cnh at mit.edu
Sat Apr 10 08:28:42 EDT 2010

Samar,

 I think one way to do this is to

 (1) set saltStepping, tempStepping false
 (2) Have some initial T and S that are the external hydrography.
 (3) add two "passive" tracers that represent the transported T and S
      and that are forced however you want.

 The passive tracers can have GM, Redi, can mix convectively and according to
 boundary layer schemes like KPP, can have advection options etc....
just like T and S
 - but they won't change the hydrography.
 If you want the hydrography T/S to vary according to some imposed form, then
 you can  add rbcs bits to do that.
 Main thing to watch out for would be making sure hydrographic T/S are
statically stable.
 If they a unstable, convective mixing there will be continuous for
the tracers  - since I don't think
 the hydrographic T/S will get homogenized.

Chris