[MITgcm-support] Bug in Darwin code?

Stefano Querin squerin at ogs.trieste.it
Wed Nov 4 12:59:44 EST 2009

Dear MITgcmers,

I and my colleague Gianpiero Cossarini are setting up a model for
studying dense water formation processes and air/sea CO2 exchanges in
shelf areas (northern Adriatic Sea).
To accomplish this, we are modifying the darwin package ( /
MITgcm_contrib/darwin/pkg/darwin ), still in development.

We just would like to report a possible error in the code.
In particular, we refer to the routine dic_surfforcing_init.F (lines
217, 219, 221, 223).
The first two indexes of the variable Ptracer should be "i" and
"j" (varying within the cycle) instead of "1-Olx" and "1-Oly".

GC observed that this error can make the model crash at startup (if
Ptracer(1-Olx,1-Oly, ...) is equal to 0) or it can be "skipped"
without consequences (if Ptracer(1-Olx,1-Oly, ...) is by chance
different from 0). This depends on the shape of the bathymetry.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Stefano