[MITgcm-support] how to initialize a 2D geostrophic flow

jklymak at uvic.ca jklymak at uvic.ca
Sun May 17 15:53:40 EDT 2009

Hi Li,

This looks about correct.  I'd expect that if you looking at the velocity
in the E-W direction  (assuming this is N/S you have plotted) you will
have a strong flow to the east near the surface after about 7 h as the
Coriolis effects starts to act on your un-balanced surface flow.  It will
set up a geostrophic flow relatively quickly, but you'll have a surface
wave rattling around for a long time.  Also you see that you lose your
initial condition because you are not in perfect geostrophic balance.
Some kinetic energy has to be lost to make the potential energy of the
geostrophically balanced surface slope.

I would expect spindown to be very slow in this simulation unless you have
quite high A_z or C_d.
i.e. hundreds of years if k_z =10^{-4} or so.

Cheers,  Jody