[MITgcm-support] restart from a pickup file

Klymak Jody jklymak at uvic.ca
Thu Mar 26 18:52:17 EDT 2009

Hi Abbas,

There are a bunch of files you can use to input initial conditions:

  &PARM05
  bathyFile='topog.const',
  hydrogThetaFile='T.n145',
  uVelInitFile='U.n145',
  vVelInitFile='V.n145',
  pSurfInitFile='eta.n145',

So I read T,U,V, and eta into matlab from my old simulation, and write
them out again as these files for the new simulation.

T = rdmds('oldOutput/T',11136);
ieee='b';
prec='real*8';

fid=fopen('T.45','w',ieee);
fwrite(fid,T,prec);
fclose(fid);

etc for the other fields...

Your mileage will vary if you don't use matlab...

On Mar 26, 2009, at  15:32 PM, Abbas Dorostkar wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to simulate the whole internal wave field in a lake.  My
> initial simulation was performed for 10 days (270 to 280 Julian Day)
> in the hydrostatic version of MITgcm with fine grids.  Performing
> the same simulation in the non-hydrostatic mode is impractical as it
> takes several months.
>
> As a first option, I am thinking about running the nonhydrostatic
> model for a time span (from 272-274 days) compatible with the
> response to a particular wind event (when internal wave activity is
> visible in the field data). To initialize the nonhydrostatic model,
> I restarted it with the pickup file I got from the hydrostatic
> simulation on 272 Julian Day. However, I get this error message:”
> field phi-NHyd is missing”.  Is it ok if I put zeros for phi-Nhyd in
> the pickup file and restart the model?  The structure of the pickup
> file (data-meta file) is not easy to understand. Has anybody done
> this before?
>
> As a second option, I want to run the nonhydrostatic model with a
> coarse grid for the whole period and then interpolate from that
> coarse grid to a finer grid
>
> and restart from a pickup file.  Does anybody have a matlab script
> or a subroutine that does this.
>
> Your help is much appreciated.
>
> Abbas

Jody Klymak