[MITgcm-support] restart from a pickup file

Abbas Dorostkar dorostkara at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:32:48 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate the whole internal wave field in a lake.  My initial
simulation was performed for 10 days (270 to 280 Julian Day) in the
hydrostatic version of MITgcm with fine grids.  Performing the same
simulation in the non-hydrostatic mode is impractical as it takes several
months.

As a first option, I am thinking about running the nonhydrostatic model for
a time span (from 272-274 days) compatible with the response to a particular
wind event (when internal wave activity is visible in the field data). To
initialize the nonhydrostatic model, I restarted it with the pickup file I
got from the hydrostatic simulation on 272 Julian Day. However, I get this
error message:” field phi-NHyd is missing”.  Is it ok if I put zeros for
phi-Nhyd in the pickup file and restart the model?  The structure of the
pickup file (data-meta file) is not easy to understand. Has anybody done
this before?

As a second option, I want to run the nonhydrostatic model with a
coarse grid for the whole period and then interpolate from that coarse
grid to a finer grid
and restart from a pickup file.  Does anybody have a matlab script or
a subroutine that does this.

Your help is much appreciated.

Abbas