[MITgcm-support] 2D with rotation

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Dec 7 09:26:09 EST 2009

Hi Nicolas,

in principle, you should get away with (s)Ny=1, and there are a few
examples that use this number (e.g. tutorial_plume_on_slope).

We have found that for some reason Ny=1 can lead to numerical
instabilities after some time on our Vector-computer, that only went
away, when we increased sNy = 8 or 16. I don't have an explanation,
except that the overlabs, might be "overlapping" from both sides, if
the sNy<=2*Oly, but that is not really plausible. Another explanation
is some screw up due to optimization/vectorization in conjunction with
the above explanation. The code should work fine for just sNy=1.

Martin