[MITgcm-support] Re: MITgcm-support Digest, Vol 74, Issue 10

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Aug 12 02:01:29 EDT 2009

Marcello,

you are right, there are no vertically integrated "barotropic"
velocities variables (as for example in MOM) in the MITgcm.
Again, once you need them I could make my Stevens-like BC available,
where you can prescribe a vertically averaged velocity (and
hydrography) and the rest is estimated from the model state. I think
that's what you have in mind. The code works very well for me, but it
is not yet very general (and North/South code is completely missing).
In particular they reduce the problem with the standard MITgcm OBC's
that you can often get very large vertical velocities just inside the
open boundaries, because the prescribe U/V/T/S are not required be
dynamically consistent with small or zero vertical velocities
(alhtough you could try to compute such values offline before
prescribing them).

Martin