[MITgcm-support] L4rdt

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Aug 3 08:37:50 EDT 2009

Hi there,

I need help (not that this is anything new): I cannot reproduce my
experiments after a recent update and I cannot figure out why. The new
runs are substatially more energetic (factor 2), especially way below
the surface and near the topography; eventually they blow up after
15months of integration with a CFL violation near the bottom/tile-egde-
corner/open boundaries. As an illustration I have attached the monitor
variable ke_mean for kemean_run06.png (the old run) and
kemean_run06_new.png (with new code). I use adv-scheme 33 (no explicit
diffusion), viscA4grid, no_slip_bottom and sides, kpp, seaice, obcs.

I still have my old exectuables, but I need some new functionality
(pseudo-timestepping for LSOR), so I need the new code. Plus I have
made a few changes (new types of OBCS) so that makes tracking down the
problem (or simply reverting to old code) even more difficult.

My first candiate was this 4times lower L4rdt, but this does not help
much; it reduces the monitored kemean a little: see attached files
kemean_run06.png (the old run) and kemean_run06a.png (the new run but
with old L4rdt).
I noticed (very) small differences in my results between checkpoint61o
and checkpoint61p (with mom_calc_visc.F still held at 61o) which I
cannot explain (but they seem to be small, maybe this KPP fix in
61p?), but all later checkpoints give the same results as 61p. My old
runs are close to checkpoint61m.

Now my question: In the list of changes in doc/tag-index I cannot find
anything that I would expect to make my integrations more energetic,
except for this L4rdt business in mom_calc_visc.F (and I have kept
this routine at checkpoint61o). Does anyone have an idea what might
have changed that causes so drastic differences.