[MITgcm-support] seaice_salinity

Michael Schodlok Michael.P.Schodlok at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 18 12:12:36 EST 2008

 Matt,
 The values for SEAICE_WaterDrag and SEAICE_Drag seem to be ok,
 at least those are similar to what we use in ECCO2. However,
SEAICE_strength
 seems to be a bit low. The optimized ECCO2 value is around 13000. I guess
 that's what you're concerned with, not the value of SEAICE_drag, right?
 cheers
 Michael

> Hello,
>
> OK, so I was only able to make the seaice dynamics stable by turning
> down the drags ( I was able to run with SEAICE_WaterDrag = 5 and
> SEAICE_drag = 0.001) and turning down the SEAICE_strength (to a value
> of 5e-3) and turning down the lsr error to 1e-5.
>
> I am concerned because a very small SEAICE_drag is likely unrealistic
> for the SO's largely rough first year ice, and (perhaps more
> importantly) because if the winds increase during optimization it may
> drive the model back unstable.
>
> I am also disappointed in that running with seaice diagnostics on and
> LSR_error = 1e-5 has about doubled the runtime...making using seaice
> dynamics not very practical.
>
> So any advice...options.  Would coding a simple free drift model be
> more stable (and perhaps somewhat realistic).  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Matt
>

> On Nov 11, 2008, at 8:13 PM, Dimitris Menemenlis wrote:
>

>> The CS510 solution also has some very saline water in narrow fjords
>> around Antarctica.  I think what might be happening is that ice is
>> acting as a salinity pump, taking freshwater out of the fjord, when
>> ice dynamics are turned on, but there is no mechanism for flushing
>> the salty water out in the model ocean.  Let me know what you
>> find.  D.
>>
>> On Nov 11, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Matthew Mazloff wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Dimitris,
>>>
>>> The extremes are happening over narrow fjords.  But with seaice
>>> dynamics off they dont occur.  The coldest it gets is -3.14.
>>>
>>> And yes, I have  SEAICE_gamma_t     = 259200.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help,
>>> -Matt

Michael Schodlok <schodlok at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab/