[MITgcm-support] External forcing

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Mar 28 10:40:54 EDT 2008

Elja,
has anyone answered you yet?

As far as I know there is technology available to read 3d fields that
you could use for your purpose (e.g. see the rbcs-pkg where 3D fields
are used for restoring), but I don't think that you can just turn on
some already coded mechanism to import and apply 3D+time forcing.

Do you have global problems in mind? Then it's probably easiest to
compute the tidal potential online and apply it as a pressure force
(add it to the phi0surf in external_forcing_surf.F). Alternatively
you could (ab-)use the surface pressure field for applying
equilibrium tides (there is an input field (pload and ploadfile) for
that; have a look at PARAMS.h, FFIELDS.h).
For regional applications you can use the obcs pkg to for the
boundaries with tidal velocities.

In both case there are no LSA (loading and self attraction) terms
available, yet, (but I've heard rumors that they might be coming soon
in this theater).

Martin