[MITgcm-support] Re : Water at the bottom of NA below freezingpoint

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Mar 14 07:18:01 EDT 2008

Hi Gus,

I think it's obvious now that Jeff's problem is very different from
what you observe (and Dror?). From what you describe your surface
heatflux removing too much heat from the ocean causing the surface
temperatures to decrease -> convection -> deep ocean fills with cold
water.

allowFreezing=.true. is a minimal ice model (hack) without any impact
on the heat flux, but I will add heat in the surface layer
(proportional to theta-tFreeze, if theta < tFreeze). So it's a good
idea to go away from this in the future. I would turn it off for
debugging as well.

surface relaxation is a heat source as well, but it's part of the
overall balance and you can diagnose it (TRELAX is the name of the
diagnostics, I believe).

Your parameters for GM and KPP look good. You may want to use
GM_taper_scheme    = 'ldd97', because you are using KPP with GM, and
that's what Large-etal (1997) did for their taper scheme.
Your vertical diffusivity could be a little smaller (1e-5), but we
don't know this number very well.

For debugging, it may be a good idea to go without KPP and GM and put
them back in, when you have sorted out hour heat flux? I strongly
suggest diagnosing the various components, oceQnet, oceQsw, oceFreez,
TRELAX.

Martin