[MITgcm-support] Re : Water at the bottom of NA below freezingpoint

Jeff Scott jscott at halo.mit.edu
Thu Mar 13 10:38:37 EDT 2008

Hi Martin and others,

Continuing this discussion...

I lay out my case for an advection-related problem as follows:

It is not just me that seems to a problem with anomalously cold temps, but
Gus, Dror, and Christopher have chimed in, seeming to offer agreement of
some sort. That being said, it is not entirely clear that we are all
dealing with the same problem - I'm a little puzzled by Gus' comment that
he is "losing half the heat content". I'm not sure exactly how that was
determined, but sounds like a massive loss, whereas I'm focusing on
gridpoints that are colder than they should be (although this does spread
in some cases).

I don't think there is much in common between our setups, other than being
coarse res; none of them are running my specific coupled configuration. In
my setup, some of the problem gridpoints are fully covered with seaice
(THSICE) all or at least part of the year. If there were a problem with
THSICE and/or the coupling, why would the problem be so localized?

But I think the biggest argument I can offer is that when I use SOM, the
problem largely goes away: minimum temps are generally much closer to the
-2 C, roughly the coldest possible icefreeze temp. As I mentioned, I found
SOM to add some diffusion to the system (ala what Christopher noted), but
it also added some "wiggle" to the velocity field, particularly noticeable
on a MOC contour plot.

Here is the minimum temps in two configurations, by vertical level,
separated into NH and SH:

4x4x22
Depth   Min SH  Min NH
-----   ------  ------
5	 -1.8	 -1.7
18	 -2.3	 -1.7
35	 -2.8	 -1.7
60	 -3.2	 -1.7
95	 -3.2	 -1.7
142	 -2.4	 -1.3
205	 -1.9	 -0.4
285	 -1.6	 0.0
385	 -2.2	 0.0
508	 -1.4	 0.0
655	 -1.4	 0.0
830	 -1.5	 -2.9
1038	 -1.5	 -0.7
1282	 -1.7	 0.0
1570	 -1.6	 0.0
1905	 -1.7	 0.0
2292	 -1.7	 0.0
2738	 -2.0	 -0.0
3245	 -1.7	 -0.8
3820	 -1.8	 -1.0
4468	 -1.8	 -1.2
5192	 -1.7	 -0.9

2.5x2x22
Depth   Min SH  Min NH
-----   ------  ------
5	 -1.8	 -1.8
18	 -1.8	 -1.8
35	 -1.7	 -1.8
60	 -1.7	 -1.7
95	 -1.4	 -1.6
142	 -0.6	 -1.5
205	 0.0	 -3.9
285	 0.0	 -4.0
385	 0.0	 -1.6
508	 0.0	 -1.8
655	 0.0	 -3.3
830	 0.0	 -1.9
1038	 0.0	 -1.8
1282	 0.0	 -1.7
1570	 0.0	 -1.8
1905	 0.0	 -1.8
2292	 0.0	 -1.9
2738	 0.0	 -1.9
3245	 0.0	 -1.9
3820	 0.0	 -1.8
4468	 0.0	 0.0
5192	 0.0	 0.0

(min of 0.0 is really 0.0 or above)

In the 4x4x22 case, the show-stopper is the problem in the top 100 meters
- these "bad" temps occur only at one point, just east of the stub of land
jutting N of Antartica into the Drake Passage. It would seem this is a bit
of a stagnation point.  But note there is also a "bad" point at 830m in
the NH. I did look at the SH bad point at every time step; at no time is
the surface below the freezing point, at least as dumped in the end of the
k-loop in thermodynamics.F (the the coldest point seems always to be at 65
or 95m depth). FWIW, the anomalous cold spot increases during summer and
fall, decreases during winter and spring, at least for the year I
examined.

In the 2.5x2x22 case, the SH is fine everywhere, but there are isolated
cold points at 285 and 655m in the NA. But unlike the 4x4x22 case, these
don't seem to spread and influence the whole deep ocean, and the model is
not filling up with sub-zero temps. (ergo I tossed the 4x4x22 setup until
I could solve this problem).

I also have a 4x4x15 case w/o KPP, and it exhibits the problem at one
point in the NA, although the SH is again fine.

In common here are strong flows near rough, jaggedy topography. Perhaps
there is some issue in how I'm making the topography? (I do fill in
"holes", but otherwise I not trying to smooth it out). Perhaps I should
simply try to smooth out topography where the problems occur.

My experience with the partial cells was simply that: I spent a week
playing with them, and this problem became much, much worse (and I think
the MOC also became more jaggedy too), so it was a pretty obvious
conclusion that this was exacerbating my problems. I offer no reasons
why...

Other issues/ideas: perhaps decreasing the time step would help...
although this is a rather costly solution. Moreover, playing with the
timestep can be difficult, as you then have to worry about the ratio of
deltaTmom and deltaTtracer, among other things that might be tempted to
blow up (in addition to technical issues between atmos, ocean, and
coupling timesteps). But perhaps my issues with partial cells help point
the finger toward the time step? (My time steps are 14400/480 for 2.5x2,
28800/900 for 4x4)

FWIW, I did turn off temp and salt advection, and the cold anomaly
diffuses away into the background on the order of months.

Jeff